Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Mother's Love

And since I'm no longer letting my lack of good photography skills deter me from posting my quilts - here's my most recent project.

After my sweet grandmother passed away I was able to gather some of her fabric and old house dresses and bed sheets. All the memories of my grandparents came back as I worked to cut up the squares for this quilt! It was so fun to remember grandma wearing that dress or sleeping over at grandma's in a bed with the old flower sheets. Some of my favorite things I didn't have the heart to cut up (at least not yet) but for the most part I was able to incorporate some of grandma's classics - as well as scraps from her own sewing stuff.

It was a bit of a challenge to find a pattern that would work with so many different fabrics and still look good together. I also wanted a more traditional pattern....settled on a single Irish chain design. It worked...right? Hopefully the white breaks it up enough to balance all the colors.
The whole quilt is original fabric with the exception of the green border and the white fabric for the back. I needed the green because I just couldn't find something of grandma's to tie it all together and it turned out so large that she didn't have enough plain white sheeting to cover the whole back (it took 5 1/2 yards for the back!)

The yellow border was an old sheet - it had so much color and darling flowers....I just couldn't help but keep it for the outside.



This quilt was a mothers day present for my sweet mom! I hope it will always bring back good memories! Love you mom!

2 comments:

  1. It turned out amazing and mom loves it. Great tribute to Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura I love your ALL your quilts. Way to go. They are super cute. I love how girlie and fun they are. Not much girlie around here so I really appreciate the fun colors and prints. simply adorable.

    ReplyDelete