Friday, April 30, 2010

Finished Starling Quilts!

I finally finished my second starling quilt! I've been waiting for it to stop snowing to take photos outside but it's been so cold and raining/snowing the last couple days that I thought I'd just do the best I can with the lighting inside!

The minky on the back turned out exactly as I hoped it would! My little girls love to cuddle up in something soft and this is the perfect bright and cuddly quilt for them to share!

The quilting is done in this darling daisy pattern! It doesn't show up so vividly when you are just looking at the quilt (especially on the front) but it's something you can definately see on the back.
For the binding I just rolled the minky from the back over and did a little zig-zag stitch! I was advised that the minky binding would wear through quickly but since the extra fabric was already there I just did it anyway! I haven't had problems with any of my other minky quilts? If I have to put a new binding on in a couple years...no big deal! Does anyone have any bad experiences with minky bindings?

Just to show how different these two starling quilts turned out:

This is one I made last year with the same Alexander Henry Starling fabric. This one was done with a white linen blend for the sashing which gives it a fancier feel. The photos aren't that great...but at least you can see the difference.

For the squares I focused on red, blue, green, yellow, pink and black and white. Finished the edge with a black and white binding. I love these little birds! They are all different with fun colors and designs!


The back is mostly the main fabric (that the birds were fussy cut from) but there is a big off-center stripe made of an extra square and leftover strips!


These quilts have been so much fun to make! I love the different colors and patterns all mixed together that somehow work out. It was a fun challenge to take the same little birds and make two unique projects.

2 comments:

  1. You are so talented. I love your quilts!!! Thanks for sharing Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilts are just beautiful! Do you do machine quilting or by hand? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete