Monday, April 12, 2010

Starling Swap Quilt



This is my most recent project and I love how it has all come together! My plan is to back it with some pink minky and let my girls just use it as a play blanket! You can see from the crease marks that it's been folded up in my sewing basket just waiting to get finished and quilted!


All the blocks were made as part of a swap with some friends! They are built around a little startling bird - fussy cut from some Alexander Henry fabric. All the little starlings are so different and colorful! It's so fun to see how all the different fabrics work together! I ended up using a little pink dot fabric for sashing and using some leftover fabric for posts!


I couldn't pick which fabric I wanted to use for a border - so I ended up using both of the ones I loved! The stop border has a black and yellow print on plain white and the bigger border is just a deep bright pink print! This quilt has been so much fun to make!






This is actually the 2nd blanket I've made with this Alexander Henry starling fabric...the first one I did on my own and turned out so different. I'll have to post pictures of it sometime. It's amazing how things can start with the same fabric and turn out so different!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This is beautiful. I haven't seen this before. I love that it is so interesting and fun. I love birds.
    p.s. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK cute girl. Did you know that I'm obsessed with quilting. I have a neighborhood quilt group that meets in my house every Thursday. I'm thinking we need to see what you are quilting! Call me anytime you need a fabric fix, I'll be the first one to go out and play with you!! I'm thinking material girls next week. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad that my mom has great daughters-in-law to share her hobbies and fill in where her only natural daughter is lacking...the creativity department! beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. laura, i am actually not running the half anymore. i am running in the southern california ragnar next weekend and the full marathon in utah in june. i am kinda scared for the full, should be interesting. tyson is running the 1/2 in june too. do it! i'd love to see you guys!!

    also, your quilts look GREAT. i made kamryn's quilt for the twin bed in her room. there are so many amazing fabrics... that was my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete